BSS Technology SME - OM&P
Job Title: BSS Technology Subject Matter Expert – OM&P
We value the importance of recognising and rewarding our colleagues at TalkTalk. As well as providing a great range of core benefits such as annual bonus, a company pension scheme and private medical insurance, we also:
- Embrace flexible working
- Support you to achieve your career goals
- Offer income protection and life assurance
- Offer a range of discounts on products and shopping
- Experience of working with external vendors in a managed service relationship
- A sound understanding of commercials and finances
- Experience in identifying and articulating specific customer transitions (changes to products and services held by TalkTalk customers) arising from planned changes
About the BSS Technology Subject Matter Expert – OM&P:
BSS Delivery exists to capture requirements for Consumer BSS systems and deliver them to the business. Its product portfolio consists of Trio, our strategic Consumer BSS, Onesys and emerging technologies including Pega,Tibco, OpenSpan, Java, Oracle, HP Exstream and MDS CMP.
Delivery of BSS changes are essential to almost all major initiatives within TTG because the systems serve as the platform that supports the entire consumer customer base. Delivery of Fibre, Mobile, TV and compliance changes all centre on BSS functionality. BSS Delivery is accountable for the provision of these changes and continuous improvement of the teams within the remit.
The Head of BSS Delivery is accountable for the Detailed Design, Development and QA of the systems in the Consumer BSS portfolio. The delivery of changes to the applications within BSS Technology is outsourced to a strategic BSS Delivery Vendor. In order to manage a large and complex portfolio of development and to retain in-house expertise, the need for in-house Technology Subject Matter Experts has been identified. This role within Technology complements the BSS Delivery Vendor and to help ensure that the quality and timeliness of deliveries is achieved.
The BSS Technology Subject Matter Expert (SME) for OM&P, Pega & OpenSpan will act as the TTG expert for the order fulfilment & service provisioning platform in addition to systems and applications built by both BSS Pega & Java Functions.
How will I add value in this role?
• Supports TTG in understanding the technology, and how to work with BSS Delivery
• Works with the BSS Delivery Vendor to establish delivery standards and reviews the quality of their output
• Acts as subject matter expert for their solution and its underlying technologies
• Maintain Financial Governance
• Resource Management
• Devise, Render, Review and Raise statements of work which meet the agreed objectives; represent value for money for TTG; and hold vendors to account where appropriate.
• This role requires the ability to form productive relationships across the business and with the BSS Delivery Vendor
• Management of the workload within the Delivery teams falls outside the responsibilities of this role, but they will be required to identify gaps in the capability of the BSS Delivery Vendor
• Excellent understanding of the various software delivery methodologies used within TTG.
• Experience of assessing and approving leave requests for team members.
• The role requires a excellent understanding of the financial model agreed with the BSS Delivery Vendor as well as the SLAs, KPIs and delivery model
• Excellent understanding of Talk Talk financial processes and systems.
• The holder of this position will be required to work with the BSS Delivery Vendor to size incoming work and identify the optimal way to deliver it within an agreed model. However, they will not be accountable for the budget.
The functions provided by this role are intended to be the primary method by which TTG ensures the quality and timeliness of BSS Deliverables is achieved. Without it, BSS Technology would not be able to effectively hold the BSS Delivery Vendor to account. Key tasks include:
• Maintains the handbook for delivery of the technology, including development style guides, testing standards and best practices to be used by the BSS Delivery Vendor
• Works with Problem Management to identify root cause of issues and revises the handbook to avoid reoccurrence
• Assess the quality of deliveries produced by the BSS Delivery Vendor and establishes if it complies with the Handbook
• Reviews production incidents associated with their technology and determines if the BSS Delivery Vendor is at fault
• Reviews estimates produced by the BSS Delivery Vendor via an agreed sizing and estimation model
• Works with the BSS Delivery Vendor to improve the estimation model
• Provides constructive feedback to the BSS Delivery Vendor where gaps in capability are identified
• Provides support for Analysis and Design in order to ensure they understand the optimal way of utilising their technology. Where necessary they may be required to further articulate analysis or design artefacts.
• Reviews progress of the BSS Delivery Vendor throughout the project lifecycle to ensure a continuous high quality of deliverables and seamless go live experience for the organisation
• Acts as an escalation point for incidents related to their Technology and ensures rapid resolution
• Works with stakeholders across the group in order for them to understand what their technology can offer and how to work with BSS Technology
• Ability to advise on the capability of their technology and how it can be used to meeting the needs of TTG
• A good understanding of the technology segment which the product belongs to and its capability vs leading competitors
• Ability to advise on the technical roadmap for the products in the portfolio, including upgrades, performance and resilience options
• Works closely with the software vendor to maintain awareness of product changes
• Has an excellent understanding of the business functions that utilise the technology in their portfolio and is able to map systems capability to those functions
• Is able to influence business stakeholders to identify solutions that make efficient use of the BSS Delivery Vendor resources and documented best practices
• Can advise of cross-functional impacts of implementing changes within their technology and facilitates cross-functional engagement to obtain organisational agreement.
• Excellent problem solving skills, especially when under pressure e.g. for the resolution of incidents
• Sound understanding of sizing and planning and the ability to identify and deliver innovative scheduling solutions
We’re TalkTalk, a challenger brand in the world of Broadband, Phone, Mobile and TV. Our job is to bring the best value connectivity, to everyone. We believe every customer matters, so we offer products and services that are simple, affordable, reliable and fair.
We’ve created a working environment where you can be yourself and give your all. You’ll be called on to out-think the competition and work closely with your colleagues to come up with new ideas, and deliver great results for our customers. This is your chance to make a difference, and great performance will take you far. It won’t always be easy, but it’s always exciting and it promises great opportunities for you, and our business, especially if you’re ready to stand for something.
Location: Soapworks – Salford Quays, Manchester
Start date: ASAP
Salary: Competitive + bonus/benefits