Compared to 80% in the rest of Europe, only 8% of homes and businesses in the UK can connect to a full fibre network. FibreNation is on a mission across the UK to connect 3 million homes and businesses, so you can enjoy the same broadband speeds as our gigabit-city, York, home to the fastest broadband speeds in the country.
We are behind the UK’s first Gigabit City in York where 44,000 homes will enjoy the benefits of full fibre. This is the biggest fibre infrastructure currently available in the UK – and our network has made York the fastest in the country. Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon will see over 40,000 homes and business be rolled out over the next few years.
FibreNation was launched by TalkTalk in November 2018 as a wholesale FTTP operator. It operates as a separate company. We’ve got the power to do full fibre differently. Building a network that’s fully gigabit-capable and offers simple, wholesale pricing and a legacy-free business.
FibreNation are changing the way internet connectivity is delivered to homes across the UK with the roll out of Fibre-to-the-premise (FTTP) connectivity, something the UK lags behind many European countries. FTTP is 100% fibre from the exchange to the customer’s premises providing an ultrafast and highly stable connection. FTTP allows communications providers the opportunity to dramatically improve services with Ultrafast reliable full fibre broadband.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of IT Development to deliver game changing full fibre internet services to the UK.
About the role
You will be responsible for defining the FibreNation approach, to use capabilities from partners or to build on our own. The design and development approach; infrastructure, coding and assurance practices. You will also be part of the team deciding which technologies to use (cloud, automation, DevOps, AI etc) and how to deploy them and how the IT team expands, with partners to meet the challenge of rolling out to several million premises.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with external suppliers and a small internal development team to determine the strategy for providing IT services.
- The IT infrastructure and Services required such that FibreNation can: sell FTTP to end Customers through our wholesale partners (CPs); install, provision, assure and bill the service; monitor, manage and support the in life FTTP service; manage our network planning, build and asset management (passive & active inventory); assert quality control of the planning, build and installations; provide in field tools to our planning and construction teams and their partners; manage key Business insight information (Data warehouse & reporting)
- Leveraging group capabilities to provide alignment and scale benefits where appropriate
- Scoping and recruiting the in-house development team, skills they need, training and tooling
- A small group of Technical Project Managers that in some cases will act as Solution Owners
- Delivery and Support of IT development from 3rd parties, including parent company.
- IT architecture and Security
- Cloud (and, if required, tin based) infrastructure to support the services above
- Enterprise IT services, O365, storage, teams, AV etc
- Service desks and service support for any in house developed software
You will be a great leader, team player and communicator with the right blend of directive thinking and ability to listen to others to form the right strategies and decisions to build a new and innovative IT service.
You will have a breadth of technical skills and experience (IT, infrastructure, enterprise IT, OSS and development) and have AWS / cloud infrastructure experience
It would be great if you have track record of managing development and IT delivery teams, experience in QGIS and other similar network planning tools, knowledge of FTTP or Fibre, programming skills and experience in a fixed or mobile telco.