The Infrastructure Solution Design Team works with operational and project teams to provide detailed designs and guidance on various aspects of infrastructure solutions. They are responsible for producing high level conceptual and low-level designs, and providing guidance and support for transition, transformation, and delivery on a variety of initiatives. Infrastructure Solution Designers apply functional knowledge and technical expertise to design systems which align with the TalkTalk strategic vision. They balance pragmatism with sensible technology decisions to create designs that underpin TalkTalk’s critical systems.
What will you be doing?
Infrastructure and platform design:
- Analyse both simple and complex solution requirements
- Review and create design documents as a subject matter expert for infrastructure solutions
- Adhere to existing design standards and create / define new ones when required
- Deliver time critical work via individual prioritisation techniques
- Work on both single asset designs and multi-year, multi-site, multi-platform solutions
- Approach solutions in a logical, sensible, and pragmatic way - then present clearly and concisely
- Consider the impact of designs from an infrastructure deployment and operational support perspective
- Design, document, discuss, and drive solutions forward in a proactive manner
- Engage with a variety of Teams across the Business – from Security and Enterprise Architects, Solution Designers, platform and system owners, application specialists, infrastructure engineers, and network specialists – to Project Managers, Business Analysts, and Service Transition Managers
- Collaborate with the Team during weekly Technical Whiteboard Sessions and governance meetings
- Articulate design concepts through written and verbal forms
- Promote the Team and instigate internal discussion points
Enterprise and business architecture:
- Assist in the progression of architectural strategies
- Recognise requirements and drive forward improvements
- Work with stakeholders to ensure solutions are both appropriate and cost effective
- Be familiar with or adapt to enterprise level corporate technology solutions
- Work effectively within a smaller Team, but to the benefit of the wider organisation
- Advise different areas of the Business, promote wider understanding of technical requirements, and challenge concepts
- Provide guidance to colleagues
- Lead on Projects
- Ensure designs align with industry best practice standards
- Identify technical risks and potential mitigations
- Demonstrate an understanding of both virtualisation technologies (VMware – including vSAN, NSX, vRealize, Cloud Foundation, Horizon, etc) and physical infrastructure
- Be familiar with Cloud technologies (Microsoft Azure)
- Understand Microsoft technologies (Active Directory)
- Understand Storage technologies (SAN, NAS, Fibre Channel, etc)
- Have a conceptual understanding of networking (DNS, SMTP, VLANs, routing, switches, firewalls, etc)
- Be comfortable with technology compliance and governance
- Be familiar with asset management, monitoring, logging, backups, remote access, etc
To perform in this role, you will have come from a technical background and covered infrastructure principles as your role will focus around solution documentation. You might have come from a similar role or 3rd line support / infrastructure engineer. Knowledge of the above technologies will be required in order to perform effectively.
As a recognised Top 50 Inclusive Employer in the UK, we know that diversity means success and innovation. We want our workplace to reflect the communities and customer we serve. Being inclusive is part of our DNA; we are all 100% human, and we create a culture where you can truly be yourself.
We’re also not your usual 9-5. We are a dynamic workplace and we want to talk to you about how you like to work.