Data Warehouse Engineer (Azure / Data Bricks / BI)
Here at TalkTalk we aren’t content with settling, striving for innovation in everything we do is important to us. We are flexible, hardworking and not fearful to explore the boundaries, by going the extra mile for our valued customers.
This couldn’t be more true when discussing our Data Warehouse departments. We are embarking on a major programme to migrate from our on-premise Netezza DWH appliance to a cutting-edge cloud solution using Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
This is an ideal opportunity for an IT professional seeking to learn and develop their skills in the Azure Cloud Data Warehouse, Integration Services and Business Intelligence Tools. It will also be an opportunity to embed a development framework using BIML to script and automate our ETL packages.
You would be hard pressed to find a larger and more complex Data Warehouse in the North West, utilising the variety of “bleeding edge tech” (yes I went there!) on the market. Anyone out there got anything that can challenge what our DWH estate looks like, then I would love to hear from you 😊
So what does our DWH estate look like:
- The current Netezza Data Warehouse is approximately 50 TB compressed in size
- We have over 120 source systems that feed in data regularly (mostly daily, some intra-day, few weekly and very few monthly)
- Approximately 80% of the sources are relational (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2 are the prominent ones)
- Of the non-relational sources, we have SalesForce cloud, Lithium API, Qube XMLs, and a variety of flat file sources
- The Data Warehouse processes on average 5 Billion Rows a Day
Any success stories so far?
A great example of one of the successes we've had with Azure is the Service Index. The goal of this project is to improve the experience for customers calling into TalkTalk by empowering call agents to make data-driven decisions based on customers’ quality of service. Service Index runs entirely in Azure, processes more than thirty million rows daily and exposes the data via an 24/7 API which receives more than fifteen thousand requests a day.
The project has reduced customer complaints by 60%, reduced churn by by 40% and realised significant cost savings by reducing wasted engineer visits and replacement routers. We're refining it every day, so if you want work on projects that have a big impact for both the customer and for the business, you've come to the right place!
What are the benefits of our customer centric Data Warehouse:
- Agility - Business users can easily self-serve for existing data. We can develop and deploy new MI/BI within days, at a lower cost, be hypothesis-driven and be free to innovate
- Latency - We can acquire real time and event-driven data, we can make timely data-driven decisions from complex fast-moving data
- Capability - Data is held in the same platform, meaning more powerful cross-functional insight can be developed, we can build predictive models and react quickly to issues and changing customer behaviour
- Growth - We are never constrained by data storage or performance and we can scale storage and processing independently
What can TalkTalk offer you?
Well now you have asked, we are currently hiring the best data professionals across Data Engineers, DWH Testers, Data Quality Analysts and a Test DWH Manager.
Salary DOE, Flexible working (2 days from home & 10-3 core hours), Pension, Bonus, Healthcare, 25 days holiday (buy & sell 5 extra), free products, PDP from day 1, state of the art modern building which is constantly evolving – GREAT PEOPLE!!!
Let's hear from a Manager
Well enough from me, why not hear from our new Data Engineering Manager James, as he explains why he is so enthusiastic about career prospects with TalkTalk.
“Its exciting times! Having moved internally, it speaks volumes of TalkTalk encouraging and supporting internal career development and progression.
I see the Data Warehouse as such a critical component in the running of the day-to-day business. There are many key decisions made on the data provided and its therefore important that that the data warehouse supports these decisions, providing accurate, responsive data to our consumers.
It’s a privilege, to be part of the cloud programme and overseeing the delivery of one our key systems take shape in the cloud and one of the biggest in the north west. This, in turn, will foster new ways of thinking, adopting new technologies and leveraging new capabilities that haven’t been possible.”
If you are driven, ambitious, enthusiastic, and looking for a rewarding environment, then we would be thrilled for you to be a part of our team.
Interested? Then Join Us!
Apply via the link below