Lead Test Engineer
Why is this role key to our business?
The responsibility of a Lead Test Engineer is to plan and test new functionality using their technical and analytical skills that meet customers’ requirements and conform to the solution & systems designs.
The Lead Test Engineer will be a true Technical Lead within our department, driving forwards best practice in our testing approach and principles whilst also influencing and implementing change to ensure the team is operating at its best. As well as an excellent technical ability this will also require strong people skills, offering mentoring, coaching and support to everyone around you to ensure that we hit our deadlines, develop our people and succeed as a team.
Key to the role will be defining metrics and indicators to both drive continuous improvements in the team as well as demonstrate the improvements made. Significantly this would include the move away from manual testing and towards automated testing as well as other efficiencies to the test process such as “shift-left”. This requires the Lead Test Engineer to be proactive as well as take ownership and see things through to resolution.
The Lead Test Engineer role is critical to ensuring that we balance the production of quality code whilst also being lean and efficient.
How will I add value in this role?
This role supports the OSS Delivery Team Leader by:
- Work within a multi discipline software delivery team and act as a true technical lead.
- Undertake activities at all stages of the SDLC including engagement with Business Stakeholders, Solution Design, Platform Owners and Business Analysis.
- Own, shape and mould our systems, by producing high quality readable deliverables
- Gain knowledge of our systems and always living our department’s foundations and values, having Smart Systems, excellent teamwork and culture, ensuring all our work is of high quality, supporting and empowering our people and driving continuous improvement.
- Drive forwards best practice adoption and creation in our software architecture and Testing patterns and principles
- Be a true Testing Lead within our department, mentor, guide, coach and support everyone around you to ensure we hit our deadlines, develop our people and succeed as a team. Take ownership of issues and see them through to resolution
- Work with management to foster a culture of knowledge sharing and the importance of documentation and workshops to create strength in depth within the team.
- Drive forwards best practice adoption and creation in our software architecture and coding patterns and principles
- Drive continuous improvement within the team and wider department, such as innovation initiatives, technical debt removal, automation and process improvements
- Ensure everything produced by our team is of good quality, by performing reviews and delivering feedback in a constructive and supportive manner. This could include reviewing the work of peers as well as more junior staff leading to reducing defects and incidents
- Contribute to planning and sizing of project requirements in isolation or with the rest of the team
- Support and assist the Team Lead/Delivery Lead to prepare deployment plans and highlight all known dependencies and risks, including deputising for the team leader when required.
- Validate Test Plans and Cases for our systems as they progress through each of the further testing levels - Planning, Estimating, Executing and Automating test cases to prove the appropriate requirements within a release.
- Oversee and validate the Regression Test Pack and automate the most valuable tests contained within.
- Continually evaluating the test automation approach, looking for improvements and simplifications.
What do I need in order to deliver this role?
- A passion for testing
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent Understanding of Testing Processes
- Proven testing track record with 3+ years SDLC experience
- Experience of automated testing technologies
- Experience of API and Web Service testing
Be great to also have:
- Understanding of Telecoms products and services
- Experience of SQL, Selenium, Cucumber and C#
- Experience of SOAPUI and/or Postman
- Experience of TFS and Microsoft Test Manager
Experience of working in Waterfall and Agile models
- Degree or equivalent in computing/engineering